Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

looking for American GI father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

audrey

audrey Report 19 Feb 2011 20:23

Two years ago I had a wonderful response when I discovered I was adopted and all I had was my mother's name. You all helped me locate her. It took one year to trace her but we were reunited after 64 years. She has moved back to the UK and is 85. I am so lucky to find out the story of my birth from her. Now I would like to find out about my father. His name was Billy (prob William) Abbot he was american and was born in 1923. My mother met him in Bridgwater in Somerset and believed he died on or after DDay landings. I cannot find that he did die in the war however. I have a person born on 24 Nov 1923 in Fayetteville West Virginia USA who seems the likely person. He died on 14 Aug 1994 in Fayetteville. Can anyone give me any tips on what to do to try and see if this is him. I have managed to find his enlistment record but that's all. I would like to get his death certificate and then try and contact anyone mentioned on it. Is that the best way to do it? HELP PLEASE!