Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Rennick born c1855 Innishkillen, Fermanagh

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daralyn

Daralyn Report 5 Dec 2010 19:10

Hi,

I'm searching for info on John Rennick from Inniskillen, Co. Fermanagh. Mainly what happened to him when he left the army. He joined the army in 1875 in Sligo, Eire aged 19 so was born around 1855. He was in the 2nd Lancashire Fuisilers and spent most of his time in India, especially Bombay after asking to be posted there. He also fought in South Africa and got the South Africa War Medal. He initially signed up for 12 years then went for another 12. There seems to have been a lot of Rennick men (not in our family) who were regulars in the army in India but I cannot find links to any of them. His trade was a tailor and he was appointed Asst. Master Tailor, Bombay Clothing Dept of the army.

John made it to sergeant but there was a trial (dont know why) and his "sentence" was to co back down to corporal. This is all on his army documents which I have.

He married a widow, Elizabeth Stuart in 1887, in Bombay. She had 5 children from her previous marriage:

Catherine Anne
Susan Ellen
Charles
Mary Josephine
Water James Stuart.

I dont know if they had any children together.

His mother and father were Thomas Rennick and his wife Anne (nee McCawley) who, although Thomas was born in Armagh, was brought up in Fermanagh, where Anne was born.

I only found out recently that John Rennick is a son of Thomas and Anne. For the past 3 or 4 years I thought they only had 8 children, 4 who were born in Derry and 4 born in Sligo. I know that John definitely is the son of Thomas and Anne as on his army documents it lists his next of kin as his father, Thomas Rennick, a tailor, of Sligo Town. There was only one family of Rennicks in Sligo in those days and still is. There is a gap of 7 years between John and the the next child so there could very well be more siblings floating around somewhere. lol

Can anyone shed any light on John Rennick please?

Thanks.

Lyn Rennick