General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where were you ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 11 Sep 2024 10:02

Today at 10.am 23 years ago 246 people went to sleep in preparation for their morning flights. 2,606 people went to sleep in preparation for work in the morning. 343 firefighters went to sleep in preparation for their morning shift. 60 police officers went to sleep in preparation for morning patrol. 8 paramedics went to sleep in preparation for the morning shift. None of them saw past 10:00am Sept 11, 2001.

In one single moment life may never be the same. As you live and enjoy the breaths you take today and tonight before you go to sleep in preparation for your life tomorrow, kiss the ones you love, snuggle a little tighter, and never take one second of your life for granted.

<3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Sep 2024 10:16

Such a dreadful day.

I was at home and had the TV on. It was so awful to watch the events unfold and become evermore horrific.
One year to the day, my husband and our daughter had been at that very spot, when he took her for a short pre-uni holiday.

Remembering all those lost <3

Island

Island Report 11 Sep 2024 10:20

At the Old Bailey.
Knew nothing about the attack until I returned home at about 6 where I was greeted by a neighbour telling me New York had been flattened :-S
Went indoors and put the tele on to try and make sense of what had really happened, <3

Morning Mr M :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Sep 2024 10:25

I was driving home listening to a BBC broadcast from New York when they lost contact.
Had to wait to get home to find out what was going on.

Von

Von Report 11 Sep 2024 10:39

A dreadful day <3

I was at home and listening to the radio. Heard the news and switched on the TV.

Thinking of all those people who were lost <3

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 11 Sep 2024 11:18

I didn't know anything until I switched the telly on when I got home from work. I just sat there in total disbelief watching as the sheer horror unfolded :-(

I can remember saying out loud as the first tower collapsed "OMG, all those poor people". Such a sad, sad day <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 11 Sep 2024 12:51

I was working in my Home Office when it flashed up on my computer screen..the footage sent across the world that day will never be forgotten.

I hope we never have to witness anything as horrendous ever again <3 <3

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Sep 2024 13:45

I went down to see my mother in law and they had the tv on. It was just terrible and unbelievable what was unfolding minute by minute.

This day will never be forgotten and hopefully never repeated.

RIP to all those who lost their lives <3 <3

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 11 Sep 2024 20:00

Dear Magoo

Hello

So eloquently phrased. <3

I remember this too.

Take gentle care
Very best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

kandj

kandj Report 11 Sep 2024 21:48

I was working on the medical ward of the local hospital, in the middle of a ward round and told the horrendous news of the attack on the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre in New York...... unbelievable!!

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 12 Sep 2024 02:57

I was at home watching it unfold live on the news. A very surreal day.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Sep 2024 03:49

I woke up about 7:30 am, turned on the radio to hear something was happening in New York that sounded horrible. I got up, turned on the TV, and sat watching events happening in real time, just stunned with it all.

OH was going to a breakfast meeting in a cafe in town, and he walked into the place to see things happening on a large TV. For a moment, he though they had a horror movie on.

Very little mention of it was made in our media today for some reason :-S :-(

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Sep 2024 13:01

I was at work, and needed to go out in my car at lunchtime to run an errand. Heard it all unfolding on the radio.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Sep 2024 16:41

I too was at work and found out about it when a delivery driver arrived and told us, having heard it on the radio in his van. It was hard to take in and we wondered if the driver had just had his radio on in the background and had misheard or misunderstood. Sadly not.

Linda

Linda Report 21 Sep 2024 20:48

I had been out came in and had ten minutes before I had to pick the grandsons up from school so up tv on to see it all unfolding made me late picking them up from school