Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Link for mothers parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 19 Aug 2024 13:17

My name is Anne Palmer. I have been building my family tree and on my fathers side have made good progress. Not quite so on my mothers side. I have always know my mother was “given” in December 1910 to a friend by her mother when she was two weeks old but am not aware of any paperwork confirming this. My understanding was she was originally either from Yorkshire or possibly the Midlands, not the case it seems.

My son very kindly bought me an Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas and I undertook the test. The result gave me quite a shock. As expected I am half Yorkshire on my father’s side, with a few extra bits thrown in. To my amazement I also came out as being half Irish, totally unexpected. Sadly I have no information at all on this Irish connection. I have to assume both my mothers parents were from Ireland and according to Ancestry from the central area of Leinster. I have opened up my DNA results to others and this has come up with a number of third cousins. I can only assume that they are, potentially, the children of my mother’s parents’ siblings.

It is a real long shot I know but I am wondering if anyone out there might have any information or recollection of a relative who gave a baby away in December 1910. The little I know of the circumstances is that my grandmother knew she was not very well during the pregnancy and that she had arranged with her good friend that if anything happened to her, the friend would look after the baby. My grandmother sadly died when my mother was just two weeks old and my mum was given to my Grandma Fearnside and brought up by her, and with her surname. I do not know where they lived at the time.

It is my understanding that there were siblings but I don’t know whether brothers or sisters or how many. I also understand that there may have been some abuse from her father which influenced my mother being given away.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Aug 2024 13:51

Duplicated on Find Ancestors.

Responses on there