Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Medal Citations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Timothy

Timothy Report 27 Dec 2014 14:14

My father was awarded MBE and MC in WW1. I have copies of the London Gazette pages in which these awards were announced, but I do not know where to look for details of whether they were awarded for a specific action. Or whether such information still exists. Any help would be appreciated.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Dec 2014 15:06

Hello Timothy, welcome to the boards.

You could always try newspaper archives .....

If you're prepared to give his name then we can try to help.

Timothy

Timothy Report 27 Dec 2014 16:17

Thanks for responding. Nothing found in the newspaper archives on this site. He was Oliver Harry Frost, born 1893 in Kent, living in Battersea in 1911. The MBE was awarded after the war, but it is the MC I am more interested in, gazetted 1.1.18. At that time he was in the Middlesex Regt., seconded to the RFC, until he became a Lt. (temporary Capt.) in the RAF in April 1918.

I also have his scrapbook of photographs, it seems mainly taken in 1918, with several group photographs and informal portraits of colleagues (none with any names marked), photographs of battlefields from the air and of British and captured planes. Also photographs of the interior and exterior of a Nissen hut with the sign, 'Church of St Michael the Flying Warrior'. It seems likely that some of the photographs could be cross-referenced and a name put to some of those pictured, but again I do not know how to progress this. I would be able to scan a selection of them.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 27 Dec 2014 16:40

If you know what unit of the Flying Corps he was seconded to, it might be worth trying to track down the unit's war diaries at the national archives.

This explains more:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/british-army-war-diaries-1914-1918.htm

I see in his records he had 'photography' listed under 'special qualifications'

Timothy

Timothy Report 27 Dec 2014 17:14

Yes, photography was his thing. Which records did you find that in? I have not found any with that detail.

Thanks, it looks as if a visit to Kew will be needed. His last listed postings (in his official, typed, RAF reecord of Service) before return to the UK in 1919, were to BEF 9 Wing on 23/9/16 and BEF 1st Brigade 5/1/16, but before that he was in 2 Wing HQ, 11 Wing HQ and 2 Brigade HQ 1st Wing.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 27 Dec 2014 17:49

his service record. Will pm you the images.

British Royal Air Force, Officers' Service Records 1912-1920

First name(s) Oliver Harry
Last name Frost
Birth year 1893
Birth date 25 Apr 1893
Country United Kingdom
Record set British Royal Air Force, Officers' Service Records 1912-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection Service Records
Collections from Great Britain

They don't tell you more than you already know on a quick glance.