Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Identifying US Military uniforms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JQ

JQ Report 20 Jun 2015 16:23

Hi
Is there anyone here that might be able to identify the uniform of one of my ancestors who joined the US Army in about 1905? I have lots of photos and some wonderful letters outlining his exploits but no real clue about his service and what regiment/corps he was in. Hope someone can help, I can add the photos if anyone thinks they can!
Jacky

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Welcome to the boards JQ.

There are some photos of uniforms from the past on this website:-

http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/uniforms/survey_uwa.pdf

It takes a while to load and you need to scroll about a third of the way down the page for anything from around the early 1900's.

Not sure if it will help at all though.

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Aug 2015 00:46

Try the Army Museum. I identified a family members after emailing a copy of the photo to them and they were able to let me know about his uniform (Russian branding, sharp shooter's ..... etc) then they pinned down the uniform to within a decade.

Someone there may have an interest in other armies' uniforms or may be able to put you in touch with someone who can help you.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Aug 2015 22:07

there are a lot of knowledgeable people in this forum:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/armed-forces/

I'm not sure how expert they would be in US uniforms but I suspect someone there would be able to help or know where to go. I have seen numerous discussions there about British and Commonwealth uniforms. And you can include photo scans in your post (unlike here!).

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 10 Aug 2015 09:06

Join Rootschat, there are miscellaneous 'war' pages.

Its FREE to join, and the members on the WW pages are fantadtic.

I found a couple of pictures of a Lufftwaffe pilot in my dads belongings. Not only could they ID the plane and pilot, but even the date the photo was taken!!

Now that was impressive

JQ

JQ Report 14 Feb 2016 17:07

Thanks everyone, I've joined Rootschat and have dug all the photos out to get them scanned. Jacky