Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RC "James" TALIB (Pirbright c1966)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martine

Martine Report 9 Jul 2015 13:37

Hi

I'm new to all of this. I'm trying to find out any information on the person mentioned in the title. I'm adopted and is my birth father.

The RC refers to his "rank(?)" in the British Army. "James" was apparently the name he went by.

Sorry, not a lot of information, I know, but this is all I have

Thank you for your help!

Martine

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2015 23:51

The combination of fornames in the gro index attached to Talib surname suggest that it may have originated in the Indian sub-continent.

Is he named on your BC? If so, does he give his service number?

It might help if you were to find out which regiment/corps were training there at the time your parents met.

This is the address from the Purbright internet page (intended for recruits)

Commanding Officer HQ Regt
ATC Pirbright,
Alexander Barracks,
Pirbright,
WOKING,
Surrey
GU24 0QQ

If they have to pass the letter on to another department, you may be waiting some time

Gritty

Gritty Report 10 Jul 2015 12:13

Are you sure the RC is a reference to his rank?

British Phone Books, 1880-1984
Name: R C J Talib
Address: 42 Alexandra Rd
Exchange: Aldershot
City/Town: Aldershot
Directory Title: Bedford / Guildford / Oxford / Reading Oct
Publication Year: 1968
Directory County: Bedford, Surrey, Oxford, Berkshire

Martine

Martine Report 10 Jul 2015 14:21

Oh I had assumed it was as he was a chef ??

Gritty

Gritty Report 10 Jul 2015 17:19

I only see R C J Talib listed in the phonebook in 1967 and 1968. I'm afraid I see no other reference to these initials or just 'James'.

Martine

Martine Report 10 Jul 2015 22:17

Gritty, that's still helpful I guess. it's more than I've known before and it would be the timing about right.

Detective, I shall try that.

Thank you both so much :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Jul 2015 14:04

As a corps they should have normal ranks.

I believe the Catering Corps other ranks to be.

Private - Pte
Lance Corporal - L/Cpl
Corporal - Cpl
Sergeant - Sgt
Staff Sergeant - S/Sgt
Warrant Officer - WO (+ whatever class he was)

Martine

Martine Report 11 Jul 2015 14:11

Patin, thanks. I should have realised as my hubby is a SSgt at present, but didn't know whether they might have had other things back then :-(

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Jul 2015 14:36

Martine, I'm ex WRAF and in the late 60s a WRAF friend of mine was dating an army guy, his best mate was a L/Cpl chef. They used to come to RAF Upavon for the dances. There used to be a lot of soldiers on Salisbury Plain in those days.

:-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Jul 2015 15:04

As you have an address and time-frame, it might be worth checking old electoral lists ( probably in Aldershot main library or at the Record Office in Winchester.

Perhaps other family members will be listed there( although relationships won't be shown in the record).
More family names will broaden the search for RCJ.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Jul 2015 10:19

There is a death in the 1960s reg Aldershot which may have surname family. connections?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 14 Jul 2015 17:23

there are 5 births from the late 60s to mid 70s, the first four in Aldershot, with surname Talib and all the same mother's surname

but no apparent marriage for those names in England

could they be related do you think?

edit - one of those children has themself in a tree here at genes reunited

just search for Talib born in Aldershot